Monday 29 July 2013

(Taru) Dark Knight Rises? Part 2

Edit: it's up now @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl2CXC6o9-E

OKAY I used that crazy build in hako this morning.  It was a blast to play!!  So much different from normal scythe dark knight.  I went 3W-2L against Kafuka's DRK.  It was a good set.  I should have a video up of some of that later.

Besides the obvious, the most important change is that you aren't going to be doing much sprinting around (you have to be still to shoot bolts and cast spells).  With that said I think it might be worth returning the ballista band for this setup.  I spent a LOT of time quarrying near the rook, just unloading barrels of bolts at people.  My sustain was such that the other team basically gave up trying to kill me in the last 2-3 games (after I got items going).

Silence was a serious problem though, with both WHM silence and guillotine.  Silena is pretty much necessary for this build to get through the initial phase of burning someone down and then setting up camp at the rook.

Swapping between dagger and staff turned out to be tough.  You'd think that little penalty period would be short enough but I gave up trying to make it work later in the set.  So I got revitalizers but they really only gave me... another third eye + weapon bash.

...In fact I kept Terra's staff on for the entirety of games 4 and 5 - even at the pre-hyper beginning to keep me alive long enough to do the usual damage.  You'd think Chatoyant and a scythe have the same property, no damage reduction, but the fact that this build has to be rooted to deal damage leaves it at a severe disadvantage in "avoiding" damage (scythe guy can run around and still deal damage).

Some notable cons that you can see in the video (up tonight or tomorrow):
--I can't really use my TP.  Heavy Swing is butts.  So I'm lugging like 300 TP around and the DRK can absorbTP me for lots.  I should ditch TP on heavy swing every little while just to prevent this.  If only I could DRK/WAR or something that gives Earth Crusher!  Maybe I'll convince them :p
--Revit doesn't do anything really
--MP can run out, and elixirs take time to use (see video)
--Important casts of elemental magic (like finishing someone off) can be interrupted.. even with 5/5 interruption merits and 7/7 elemental magic merits
--Dark resistant enemies (WHM, DRK) are not good targets for bolting
--Anyone can jump into a dark resist set if they have it (see pro below)

And the notable pros:
--Great sustain, and through this, the ability to be a scoring threat
--DRK, especially taru, have enormous enmity (people love to kill them) so you can draw even more fire for your team than usual
--Holy bolts are a step down damage wise and obviously offer no healing, but it's important to note that they could be used as an alternative if the entire opposing team has dark resistance
--When WHM changes to turtle gear, they lose most of the dark resistance and thus become viable targets for bolting
--More time alive and part of the battle gives you a much better look at crippling tactics like poisonga>sleep/repose
--Opponent WHM has to consider casting Shellra 3, wasting more MP throughout the game
--Opponents may switch to dark resistance gear, reducing their other stats

Well that's it for now.  The video will be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment